October 27 in Quebec City


We decided today to buy a ticket for the hop on-hop off bus to go around the city and find where we wanted to visit. It was 26d when we started with icy winds, warming up to 34 but with that wind chill it sure doesn’t feel warm. I have to wait each day until we get back to the hotel to upload my reports and photos to Facebook.
Just got back from our drive around the city of Old Quebec on the hop on bus and got to listen to the history on earphones on it. I love how quaint it all looks, and then up against the modern buildings surrounding it. It reminds us so much of the walled fortress of York every time we go under another stone gate. 
We started right out in front of our hotel which is across the street from the Saint Jean (John) gate, which is carved into the top. We entered the main street there.




Outside the walled city:
 







We got off just down from the Chateau Frontenac, and walked out overlooking the river. The wind was ferocious and crap, it was icy cold!! My lips were freezing. I wrapped my wool scarf around my head and neck and looked like a babushka. This photo is on the landing there overlooking the St Lawrence, with our ship at dock.
We took the funicular down the side of the hill to the area below that I remembered had the most charming shops. Quite a bit of the shops is decorated for Fall or Halloween, and I took a lot of photos of that and got a few ideas for decorating our house with witches’ hats hanging from the tree, and maybe a broomstick or two.
Lapin Sauté (Rabbit Jumps) restaurant was still there, and the pig looking into another restaurant window also, Cochon Dingue (Crazy Pig). It was pretty crowded with another cruise group being dropped in there. We found the chocolate shop there and had some more hot chocolate and pistachio macrons. 



I finally did some shopping and decided on a pretty maple leaf scarf and a blue and white fleur de lis dish towel. Exciting, huh?
Witches hats and broomsticks in the trees:



You can see the funicular in the background going up the hill.
 
Notice our ship on the right in the background?



I discovered my wrist band for the hop-on bus had fallen off my wrist but we didn't feel up to riding for 1-1/2 hrs on a cold bus to get back to our starting point. We began looking for a cab somewhere and wound up going in circles with no luck. Finally, we were told you can only find them near the cruise ships. So, it took almost an hour when we finally got one back to the hotel across town. My lips and now my ass are frozen. In fact, sitting in our room, it feels like I'm sitting on a chair of ice. 
We'll be going back out, after we've warmed up, and find dinner on Rue St. Jean again. With it being a Saturday night, many are already booked. Our hotel concierge is trying to find one for us in walking distance (my walking distance) with a time range of 5pm-8pm. Oh, and I kept getting warnings popping up on my cell about powerful storm surge warnings due to hit Quebec City, especially since its at high tide. But we're up on a "mountain" so I don't think we need to worry.
At the recommendation of the hotel we went to this farm fresh restaurant, called Tournebroche. We had fun asking different people how to pronounce it and the majority (locals) say tunie-buush. I only heard one person using r's in it. 
It was all so fresh and delicious, made from locally raised beef, chicken & fish, with honey flavorings from their hives. All their vegetables and bee hives are raised in rooftop gardens in the city.
 

This was our dinner; a melt in your mouth filet mignon, with root veggies, with a pureed veggie dip, and roasted slices of potatoes through a long nail. It was our best meal we had on our trip.
On our walk back, the wind was almost blowing us over. Then we saw the lit up back view of St. Jean's gate.
As we arrived back at our hotel it started snowing again.
   NEXT DAY -- https://2018fallcolorscruise.blogspot.com/2018/11/october-28-final-day-in-quebec.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 13/14- New York Manhattan, Times Square, Rockefeller Center

October 17- Newport, Rhode Island

October 28 -Final Day in Quebec