October 17- Newport, Rhode Island


October 17 In Newport, Rhode Island

Arrived this morning in Newport, RI. I may not be able to do the walking thru the 2 mansions but we paid for this tour and I'll enjoy the driving tour and seeing Breakers and Marble House. I'm not going to slow everyone down so I will sit and wait as necessary.
Turns out I was able to go on the tours of both Marble House and Breakers because they were audio self-guided tours at your own pace. Although I was exhausted when we finished. 
And look, 
I got a Chloe-proof brass pineapple from the Breakers gift shop. I also bought this Suffragette doll ornament.

First photos from Breakers:











And these are from Marble House:
After we were finished walking the downstairs, I took a seat on a bench in the center of the lobby and was approached by a docent who offered the use of a private elevator so I could see the upstairs. As tired as I was, I really did want to see it. The elevator was very ornate inside, hidden in a back corner from the public. It barely held myself, hubby, and the docent. I asked but wasn’t allowed to take photos of it due to security. 












The last thing we did before getting on the ship was pick up some lunch. I had to sit near the dock and wait while Howard walked back into town and brought back a container of clam chowder, and lobster rolls for us, which also included French Fries. My first lobster! The roll was a soft sweet bread with pickle relish & lettuce in it.
These are photos I took from our deck of the harbor as we were leaving Newport. Very beautiful views of homes along the shore.




              NEXT DAY -- https://2018fallcolorscruise.blogspot.com/2018/11/october-18-boston-massachusetts.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 13/14- New York Manhattan, Times Square, Rockefeller Center

October 28 -Final Day in Quebec